How to Make Pizza Base Sauce
It’s quick. It’s easy – don’t buy ready made!
Pizza Base Sauce Ingredients
For four people
- One clove of garlic
- One 400g can of any tomatoes
- One heaped teaspoon of sugar
- Half level teaspoon of salt
- One tablespoon of olive oil
- A few grinds of black pepper
Pizza Base Sauce Method
- Finely chop the garlic and fry it for a minute in oil.
- Add all other ingredients and bring to slow boil.
- Allow to slowly boil for 20 mins to reduce it.
And that’s it! Job done. Taste it first and stir it to ensure the right degree of boiling-off.
If you have fresh basil, this is great. It’s well worth having a few basil plants growing outside. This comes in useful with the pizza base sauce and also it’s a great herb for the margheritas. (Another cheeky use is in gin).
The tomato pizza base sauce is always the first layer, on top of which any other ingredients can be added. A good tip is to leave no sauce on the exact centre as this is the bit that can be marginally under cooked. Ingredients will migrate and spread during the cooking process, leaving no bare patches.